Analyzing The Pinty’s Presents The Clarington 200
By Jason Cunningham, NASCAR
August 26, 2014 – 10:00am
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The 2014 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 returns to Ontario and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park for the Pinty’s presents the Clarington 200 on Sunday in rural Bowmanville. Below is a statistical look at the performance of the series and selected drivers at the track:
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Race Setup:
• Season points leader L.P. Dumoulin is the defending winner of the Pinty’s presents the Clarington 200. He swept both events at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in 2013 to become the first driver in series history to win back-to-back races at the road course.
• J.R. Fitzpatrick has a series-leading four wins at CTMP in NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 action, including the 2014 season opener.
• Andrew Ranger won at CTMP in both of his championship seasons, including the series’ inaugural event at the track in 2007.
• Multi-time champions D.J. Kennington and Scott Steckly will be looking to end different streaks this week. Kennington is in the midst of the second-longest winless drought of his career (12 races) while Steckly is still in search of his first career road course triumph.
At Canadian Tire Motorsport Park:
• Opened in 1961 as Mosport Park. The name Mosport was a contraction of motor sport.
• Has played host to the American Le Mans Series, CASCAR Super Series, Can-Am, Formula 1, IndyCar, Tudor United SportsCar and USAC Champ Car, among others, through the years.
• Welcomed the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 for the first time on June 17, 2007 in an event won by Andrew Ranger.
• Was renamed from Mosport International Raceway to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in February 2012.
• Held the inaugural NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event on Sept. 1, 2013.
• CTMP has welcomed the NCATS nine times previously, which the most events for any road course since the series began competition in 2007.
• This is the second season in a row that CTMP will have two NCATS road course events after single races there from 2007-12.
• Seven drivers have participated in all nine previous events, and all seven are expected to extend the streak this week.
• The nine previous races have produced four different winners, led by J.R. Fitzpatrick’s four.
• There have been four different pole winners in eight contests, led by Andrew Ranger’s four.
• There has yet to be a wire-to-wire victory at CTMP, but Ranger twice won from the pole.
• Fitzpatrick was the youngest CTMP race winner at 20 years, 1 month and 6 days.
• L.P. Dumoulin was the oldest CTMP victor at 34 years, 6 months and 11 days.
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Data
Race #: 9 of 11 overall, 2 of 2 at CTMP
Track Layout: 2.459-mile, 10-turn road course
Race Length: 51 laps (125.4 miles, 201.8 kilometers)
Telecast: TSN2 – Sat., Sept. 6, 5:30 p.m.; RDS2 – TBA